Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Will Deer Start Eating Corn?, Soybean Fields are all Corn Fields now
I Hunt 365
post Aug 3 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #1

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

So 90% of the fields that were soybeans last year are being corn fields this year, I assume due to corn being used for car fuel. Anyway, I know deer would hit these fields all summer and straight through the winter, the ate the leaves of the soybeans as the plants grew. When will deer start eating corn crops? There is no corn on them the stalks yet. I am sure that if hungry enough deer will eat the leaves and stalks, and I know they might like to bed in the corn rows... but is the corn really an attractive food source now? When will they start keying in on the corn?

Either way I prefer soybeans.... the bean fields really help grow big racks... plus you can see a deer in a bean field. Not in a corn field when the corn is 5 foot high, makes it hard to hunt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Catfishturkeyhunter
post Aug 3 2008, 05:28 AM
Post #2

Supreme Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,614

I like hunting both. I think deer feed on the corn alot while it is standing and even alot after it is cut. But once the combines start working corn I expect some deer to switch to beans since they will still be standing and the deer being temporarily run out of the corn fields. We got corn in pretty early here in Kansas this year, and most of it is looking very good. The beans got planted late due to late spring rains. Saddly, I've seen some very poor looking bean fields while scouting. I expect corn to start getting cut by mid september and beans by the first of october..

--------------------
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
indiana boy
post Aug 3 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18,025

I wont hunt corn until it is combined. Beans when they are green.

--------------------

Hoosier H.I.T Squad Team Member
www.hoosierhitsquad.com
+Quote Post
Stickay03
post Aug 3 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 709

I haven't seen deer in the corn fields here near as much as I have when they planted beans - they do it for crop rotation to keep from having to plow it, disc it, just whatever ---- turn the soil in other words!

The corn they are planting (used for fuel) is not the same as what you would eat or have out in your garden - it doesn't taste good whatsoever (yes, I've tried cooking it to eat) smile.gif

I've put out feeders previously with corn and had deer eating there every evening - the pieces that weren't ate started to grow casually and then the deer would eat those down before they got much over 6-8 inches tall.

The corn in the fields that the farmers planted.... not so much the same.

This post has been edited by Stickay03: Aug 3 2008, 09:24 AM

--------------------
The young don't know enough to be prudent; and therefore, they attempt the impossible...and achieve it.
+Quote Post
NEMOBOWHUNTER
post Aug 3 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 13,965

Farmers usually always rotate there crop. two or three years of beans and then a year of corn, then back to beans.

but for your question, deer will eat corn at anytime. not so much the green stalks. it's not really much of an attractant right now, not until ears of corn come up. during the summer the corn is like a sweet to them. much like a twinkies or cupcakes for me and you. then in the winter when the corn is hard it has a higher count of protein which is good for them.

generally, if you have alot of corn around you, and you are going to plant a food plot, you should plant something like austrailian winter peas or black eyed peas for them to eat during the summer months. if that is avalible for the deer to eat during the summer months they won't eat the corn as much.

i only said winter peas or black eyed peas because they are really really cheap to buy for a food plot. a 50lb bag of austrailian winter peas cost me only $22. that will plant a little over an acre.

This post has been edited by NEMOBOWHUNTER: Aug 3 2008, 10:31 PM

--------------------
Deer...Turkey...Deer...Turkey!!!

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Randolph Cox
post Aug 3 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 3,187

I know for a fact they will live in it until it is gone.We always find deer near it from the time it shoots up out of the ground.

--------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Aug 3 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Thanks guys...

I knew the deer would bed in the corn... just didn't know when they would start eating it... if the bed in there and feed in there it makes it hard to hunt a deer that never moves. I have already seen a ton of tracks and dropping in and around the corn fields, just was hoping it was bedding area only for now until the corn gets more mature.
+Quote Post
Randolph Cox
post Aug 3 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #8

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 3,187

QUOTE(I Hunt 365 @ Aug 3 2008, 04:39 PM) *

Thanks guys...

I knew the deer would bed in the corn... just didn't know when they would start eating it... if the bed in there and feed in there it makes it hard to hunt a deer that never moves. I have already seen a ton of tracks and dropping in and around the corn fields, just was hoping it was bedding area only for now until the corn gets more mature.

I'm not sure about where you are hunting,but when I went to missouri there was only about 10% cover.90% of the land was open cow pastures,and crops.Those guys over there had a few tactics for flushing the deer out.They don't get to rifle hunt much so they hit it hard.We didn't do any of this..we just still hunted.But we figured out what they did.They had corn rows cut out near their stands..shooting lanes ya know.The other thing they did was had people all around the corn fields who would shoot randomly to get the deer moving(we were on the adjoining property...scared me too..lol),They also did drives with people and 4 wheelers in the corn to get them moving.

--------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post
Jimmy 2 Frogs
post Aug 3 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #9

BIG Hunter

Member No.: 5,134

we aint got many crops 'round here but iffin ya drop some corn on the ground it'll get eatin up right quickly in fact the deer will camp out to keep the coons off'in it...corn, it's whats fer huntin... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
God must love stupid people, He made so many.
2008 Turkey Champs-Lead Heads
2011-2012 Deer Champs- Bloodbath & Beyond

+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Aug 3 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Jimmy 2 Frogs @ Aug 3 2008, 05:24 PM) *

we aint got many crops 'round here but iffin ya drop some corn on the ground it'll get eatin up right quickly in fact the deer will camp out to keep the coons off'in it...corn, it's whats fer huntin... rolleyes.gif

Yeah, not so much around here.... too much corn. I know alot of guys think it's crazy for a hunter to be dissappointed because there is corn planted everywhere. Where I grew up it was the same way, put corn out and deer would come. However, when you live in a place with miles and miles and miles of endless crops and agriculture, a corn pile really isn't of any interest to deer. Sure, they will eat it, but they won't go out of their way to do so. I have found that nuts and minerals are really the ticket around here.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:13 PM