Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Older Bows - Jennings Carbon Extreme
JYawn
post Jul 20 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #1

Regular Whitetail Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,815

I have only been a dear hunter for 1 season and with a gun only. I have fallen in love with the sport though and want to get out there more than just the gun season. My friend just gave me a bow completely free. The only question i have is " Is it worth fixin up?" He gave me an old Jennings Carbon Extreme. I believe it came out in the early 90's. It has nothing at all except for a bow string. So my question to you fellow archers would be.... " Is it worth fixin up this older bow for a begginer. If you think it is, any advise on what to invest in?" Of course i'm not wanting to go all out with the best out there on an older bow. thanks!

--------------------
Photobucket
Huntin' in good ole TN
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
unknown
post Jul 20 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

QUOTE(JYawn @ Jul 19 2008, 10:08 PM) *

I have only been a dear hunter for 1 season and with a gun only. I have fallen in love with the sport though and want to get out there more than just the gun season. My friend just gave me a bow completely free. The only question i have is " Is it worth fixin up?" He gave me an old Jennings Carbon Extreme. I believe it came out in the early 90's. It has nothing at all except for a bow string. So my question to you fellow archers would be.... " Is it worth fixin up this older bow for a begginer. If you think it is, any advise on what to invest in?" Of course i'm not wanting to go all out with the best out there on an older bow. thanks!

yeah, i`ll jump on this one. if you`ll look back at some older hunting videos, you`ll see the carbon extreme pop up a few times. so the bow, in good condition is all you will ever need really. i`ll assume your friend wouldn`t give you a bow thats about to break. i just upgraded a couple of years back from an early 90s pse. that bow, arrows and all, costed me $50 bucks, and i have to say, i`m just as accurate with it as my new truth 2. the main thing i wanted was something quieter. but i never had a deer "jump the string" on that pse, even though it sounded like a screen door slamming. anyways.........
new bows are pretty, and most are very quiet. but i will admit, i don`t think you`ll find one thats $700 quieter than your jennings. if you stay away from chat rooms (oops) and out of bowhunting magazines you may never find the need for another bow. remember these 2 points, then be proud of your bow and what you can do with it.
point 1. ancient man was killing wild animals as late as 100 years ago, with a rock tied to the end of a fairly straight stick. your bow, while not the "latest greatest" is so far ahead of this, it would be embarassing to say" i can`t hunt with this".
point 2. many folks now, after spending litterally thousands on modern bows with %80 let off, lit pins, real mossy tree oak designer camo, and "death star 2000" mechanical broadheads, have decided to go back to recurves. your bow is stronger and more efficient that most any recurve ever made.
this ain`t rocket surgery folks. so to make a short point long, go practice with what is a very good bow, and become something to be feared. your buddies may know your not hunting with an 08 model bow, but the deer you stack around you in piles like fire wood won`t. good luck.

This post has been edited by unknown: Jul 20 2008, 03:34 PM
+Quote Post
JYawn
post Jul 20 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #3

Regular Whitetail Wizard

[quote name='unknown' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:31 AM' post='415797']
yeah, i`ll jump on this one. if you`ll look back at some older hunting videos, you`ll see the carbon extreme pop up a few times. ........................................

"Thanks for your input. That is how I felt about it but really wanted to hear from someone experienced. Thanks again, it was helpful.

--------------------
Photobucket
Huntin' in good ole TN
+Quote Post
unknown
post Jul 20 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

oh yeah.. i could make suggestions on what to add to the bow, but you`ll still need someone to set it all up for you. do you have a friend, or local archery dealer that can do this?
+Quote Post
JYawn
post Jul 20 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #5

Regular Whitetail Wizard

QUOTE(unknown @ Jul 20 2008, 09:54 AM) *

oh yeah.. i could make suggestions on what to add to the bow, but you`ll still need someone to set it all up for you. do you have a friend, or local archery dealer that can do this?

*yeah, i live very close to a Sportmans Warehouse and not to far away from a BassPro also.*

--------------------
Photobucket
Huntin' in good ole TN
+Quote Post
unknown
post Jul 20 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

QUOTE(JYawn @ Jul 20 2008, 11:21 AM) *

*yeah, i live very close to a Sportmans Warehouse and not to far away from a BassPro also.*

good deal. ok, i`m hoping that your friend gave you a bow that will fit your draw length. anyway, unless your bow already has a rest, and funds are limited, i would get a whisker biscuit or hostage arrow rest. these 2 rests are similar to each other, with the hosatge being a touch quieter, the biscuit being a little better at arrow holding (imo). if you can`t afford one of these, save your money and get one as soon as possible. these will be maybe 30 to 50 bucks...depending on where you buy one. ok, now sights. first, i would ask every person i knew of if they knew someone with an old pair of hunting pins. if you have to buy some you can prolly get out under 15 bucks if you try really hard. you can get really ice sights that go for a few hundred bucks, but with the season close, 200 bucks is a lot of gas money for hunting. now, again, depending on funds, if i had the money, i`d buy a release aid, but they are FAR from neccesary. what i just described will get you a deer if you do your part, and that means practice. you absolutely MUST parctice. this is not like shooting a rifle. being new to shooting you may have to limit yourself to 20 yard shots, maybe 10 yards. like i said before, this ain`t rocket surgery, but you have to know your limits and the limits of your equipment. find an experienced archer to shoot with. rushing by yourself to learn archery in a month could give you bad habits that could last a lifetime.
+Quote Post
unknown
post Jul 20 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

this link will take you to the most informative information on bows outside of a book that i have ever read. will give you a very, very good basic understanding of bows.
+Quote Post
Hoyt1021
post Jul 21 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 17,827

QUOTE(JYawn @ Jul 19 2008, 10:08 PM) *

i used to hunt with the exact same bow, i used it for my first year then got my hoyt. If you tune it well it shoots very accurately

--------------------
2008 Ross CR331
Tru-Glo 5 pin
QAD Ultrarest
Beman Team Realtree MFX 400 Arrows
Blazers
Scott Archery Release
G5 Broadheads

Remington Model 700 25-06
Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40mm
100 grain Nosler BT - varmints - 3300 fps
117 grain Sierra Gameking - Big game - 3100 fps
+Quote Post
cajun816
post Jul 24 2008, 07:32 AM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 17,817

O.K. got to get in on this. Unknown is right. Spend less than $150 settin up the bow and practice, practice, practice. I would get carbon arrows, more forgiving than alum. I shoot a mid-90's PSE F1. She's killed more deer than i care to count, and hits like a mac truck. Old bows rule. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Medve
post Jul 24 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Tracker

Member No.: 17,759

I started out with a cheap cross bow to see it I would likethe bow hunting side compared to gun, and I loved it!!! So I went out and bought a Truth 2, now since you were able to get your bow for free, like everyone esle has said you can get all your accessories fairly cheap, but you need to practice!!! I joined an archery league and shot 60 arrows once a week for that, plus I would go to the range and shoot off nights as well. the range was 20 yds so I got dialed in at 20 and was shooting great at 20 by the end of the league. I just went on my first 3D shoot this past Sunday and was able to shoot at futher distances up to 35 yds, this was a big confidance booster for me as I have never shot over 20yds before this, and did very well. So get out there and shoot shoot shoot and when you think your doing good shoot some more, go to 3D shoot any chance you can before the season, this will give you real situational shots from angles and through trees and all kind of good stuff.

As for equipment buy the best that you can afford, this way if and when you get another bow, you can possibly transfer some of you accessories and it will save you a few bucks in the long run. Don't worry about what your buddies think about your equipment, if its working for you and your shooting good thats all that matters!!!

--------------------

TRUTH II
TROPHY RIDGE UNIVERSAL
WHISKER BISCUIT
EASTON EXCELS
RAGE 2 BLADE
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 07:36 PM