> Jellyhead Choke Tubes
Longbeard24
post Mar 15 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,957

Hello,
I was hoping to get some help? here is my problem. I have a mosseberg 935 and i have been having problems with the patterns with the stock turkey choke tube. i missed 2 birds last year that i know i would have gotten with the old winchester. But i really like the 935 and was hoping someone could tell me about the jellyhead and what size shot they have had best results with? Right know i shot number 4s 2oz 3inch mag in federal. Thanks for any info!!!!!!!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Mar 15 2008, 05:39 AM
Post #2

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

If you want the very best...

http://www.nitrocompany.com/

Most guys on here are going to tell you Nitro's are the best. However, you will get everything from Winchester #4, Remington #5, HeviShot #6, and every other combination of brands and shot size.

There are alot of threads already covering this exact topic in the Turkey Hunting Forum. Check those out.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ on the Nitro's then the HeviShot or Winchester Xtended Range will work nicely.

In the end, you will have to figure out what load fits your gun / choke combo the best and what you are willing to spend.

One last thought...how far do you want to shoot. I always find it funny that alot of guys shoot the best chokes and the best load to get the ulitmate pattern, and then they say that ethically they won't shoot at a turkey farther than 40 yds. If you are only going to shoot 35 - 45 yds max anyway, then just grab any turkey load and it should do fine with your JellyHead.

+Quote Post
GreeneCoDeerKiller
post Mar 15 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Turkey thug

Member No.: 2,714

40 yards is the max you need to be shooting at turkeys period, if you cant get him that close just come back and fool with him tommorrow. Any regular lead loads, like Winchester 4s, 5s, 6s, and Federal, and remington hane been killing turkey for years, so why do you need hevi shot, or extented range, or even Nitros when I can get at least 2 boxes of shells for what one box of that stuff cost, and tell the turkeys I kill they didnot get killed with hevi shot or nitros or any of that stuff.

--------------------
Hunter

"call loud cause I can, soft cause I must, share no secerts, no one I trust, rain or shine it don't matter to me, I'm turkey thug of the 10th degree" -cuz turkey thug intro

When your in the turkey woods from sun rise to sun set, wear out a pair of boots, and 4 cushions every time you go you know you gave it all you had.

www.arrowslinger.com
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Mar 16 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(GreeneCoDeerKiller @ Mar 15 2008, 11:10 AM) *

40 yards is the max you need to be shooting at turkeys period

WHY?
+Quote Post
oldreloader
post Mar 16 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 222

Jellyhead and#6's work for me
+Quote Post
jester
post Mar 17 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 15,940

QUOTE(GreeneCoDeerKiller @ Mar 15 2008, 12:10 PM) *

40 yards is the max you need to be shooting at turkeys period

40 yards that is it? I like to get turkeys in close as well, but with the guns and shells you can get today 40 yards is just the start. Last year I killed a turkey at 56 yards and another at 65 yards with my Jelly Head Choke and #6 Winchester Xtended range. My brother shot one at 70 yards with the same shells. All three were grave yard dead. I agree that getting turkeys close is the goal of every hunter, but most people only have so many days to hunt and only being able to shoot 40 yards would have cost me two turkeys last year.
With that said I pattern my shot gun at 40, 50, and 60 yards. I take alot of time and spend alot of money so I can shoot turkeys this far. If you don't pattern your gun you shouldn't shoot a turkey at 20 yards, but with the shells and chokes today, don't cut yourself short.
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Mar 17 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #7

40 yards that is it? I like to get turkeys in close as well, but with the guns and shells you can get today 40 yards is just the start.

This was exactly my point when I asked "WHY" in my previous post.

I agree...40yds is no longer the max.
+Quote Post
Dust
post Mar 18 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 15,913

QUOTE(jester @ Mar 17 2008, 12:04 AM) *

40 yards that is it? I like to get turkeys in close as well, but with the guns and shells you can get today 40 yards is just the start. Last year I killed a turkey at 56 yards and another at 65 yards with my Jelly Head Choke and #6 Winchester Xtended range. My brother shot one at 70 yards with the same shells. All three were grave yard dead. I agree that getting turkeys close is the goal of every hunter, but most people only have so many days to hunt and only being able to shoot 40 yards would have cost me two turkeys last year.
With that said I pattern my shot gun at 40, 50, and 60 yards. I take alot of time and spend alot of money so I can shoot turkeys this far. If you don't pattern your gun you shouldn't shoot a turkey at 20 yards, but with the shells and chokes today, don't cut yourself short.

I don't care how far your gun and expensive ammo can shoot, ethically 40 yards is the furtherst you should be attempting to shoot a turkey. If you can't get one closer than that then you need to stay home a work more on your calling and hunting methods because seventy yards you should be shooting a slug. Most hunters I know can kill turkeys with bird shot because they practice calling and have the patience to bring the turkey in. You will wound one some day.
Call'em close-Kill'em clean!!

--------------------
Kill Zone Outdoors &
T-Shot Productions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
buck_hunter21
post Mar 18 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #9

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 10,083

I wont shoot at a turkey past 40 yrds. My set up could take one farther but I just dont think its ethical. ANyways about the jelly head. I love mine. I have had great succes with Whinchester X-tended 6s.

--------------------
Team Hardwoods Heart Stoppers 2012-13 Deer Contest Champs
Team Full Draw 2010-11 Deer Contest Champs

"Back-to-Back" with Team Dirt Nap
2010 & 2011 Primos Spring Gobbler Contest Champs

Spill blood.....It's not a passion, it's an obsession
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Mar 18 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #10

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

QUOTE(Dust @ Mar 18 2008, 01:07 PM) *

I don't care how far your gun and expensive ammo can shoot, ethically 40 yards is the furtherst you should be attempting to shoot a turkey. If you can't get one closer than that then you need to stay home a work more on your calling and hunting methods because seventy yards you should be shooting a slug. Most hunters I know can kill turkeys with bird shot because they practice calling and have the patience to bring the turkey in. You will wound one some day.
Call'em close-Kill'em clean!!

I'm gonna agree with Dust on this one. I think all the new technology has a starngle hold on turkey hunting. Who has any fun shooting a bird at 70 yards? I think future generations of turkey hunters will lose the fine art of working a gobbler into close range because the chokes, guns and loads of today are making turkey shooting and not turkey hunting.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 07:20 PM