Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unique Uses Of Deer
INKANE
post Dec 6 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Tracker

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,627

We all have probably heard about uses of a whitetail carcass beyond just the meat for consumption. I think the most common example is Native Americans and how we are told they never let anything go to waste on an animal. For example, the definitive (yet dated, I would argue) work on white-tailed deer by Halls (circa 1984) mentions several uses of deer by Native Americans including, but not limited to food, hides for clothing, blankets, bags, quivers, sinew for thread and string, bone and antler for implements, and the list goes on. Even nowadays we somewhat celebrate this tradition by using antlers for rattling. This is pretty common.
But I was interested in any unique uses of deer by you guys or people you might know. Not to diminish the importance of meat, though.

One thing I have done is use a thoracic vertebrae (one near the front of the torso with a long spine reaching upwards) as a coat/hat hanger. Nothing to elaborate but gave me a feeling of accomplishment and a little understanding of those who had to use everything just for survival.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Dec 6 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #2

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

Well, all I know is the meat is pretty good. I save the hides for my college buddies and they make their own buckskin for clothing and craft like wallets and bags.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

2012-13 Primos Deer Contest Champions Hardwood Heart Stoppers
+Quote Post
nate9696
post Dec 6 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Tracker

Member No.: 12,742

there are a few places in VEermont that will take your hides for free and give you a discount on some of thier products. i have deer hide slippers at home.
My brother also takes the tail and uses the hair for tying flies, (aka bucktail lures).
+Quote Post
wmramse
post Dec 6 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Big Wes

Member No.: 795

I have an old Ontario Pilot Survival knife with a weathered and shrunken stacked-leather handle with the top broken off. Over Christmas I'm planning to mill down a section of either deer or elk antler to replace the leather, then weld the top back on and refinish it. My father-in-law also makes pen and pencil sets out of deer antlers and .270 brass. I also have a deer drag made from a 'Y' section of antler and 550 cord. I'm saving up hides to tan to upholster a couple of chairs I plan to build in the next year or two.

Oh, and I eat the meat wink.gif

--------------------
Wes

Shoot low boys, they're riding shetland ponies.
- Lewis Grizzard
+Quote Post
dgbigo
post Dec 7 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 4,173

I like to cut off the tarsal glands on any deer i've taken and use those to bring in more deer the next time i'm out.I have had really good luck doing this.I also love the meat and some day would love to make a deer hide blanket with the hair still on it.I haven't been lucky enough to take a buck to use its antlers for rattling.

--------------------
it is truly a gift from God to be able to do this
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 04:34 PM