Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Make A Rifle More Accurate?
elkslayer_14
post Dec 5 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,385

Hey guys i was wondering what all stuff you can do to a rifle to make it more accurate? I am planning on buying a Browning A-Bolt .270 with the B.O.S.S. and i wanna know what else i can do to it to make it more accurate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carolinaslayer
post Dec 6 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #2

Tracker

Member No.: 13,080

those guns are already really accurate. i used to own one. i would say the best thing to do would be is to buy a good scope and mounts. then shoot clean shoot clean a couple of times or more. and def have a gun smith boar sight it b4 you take it to the range.

--------------------
"It's not a passion. It's an obsession."-mossy oak

+Quote Post
chris_carpenter
post Dec 6 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Tracker

Member No.: 10,958

I have an A-Bolt in 375 H&H with BOSS and the most that I can think of is an adjustment to the trigger is about it. I mean with a full floating barrel and the reputation of the maker, what else do you want? Well, maybe a heavy barrel which would heat up slower on subsequent shots...ya know the most accurate shots you'll get is out of a cold barrel.

--------------------
TSgt Chris Carpenter
"Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--serving all three"

'06 Hoyt Trykon
Trophy Ridge Drop Zone
Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin GS
Bohning 6 arrow
Easton Epic ST
G5 Tekan II in 125 gr
+Quote Post
ElkMan
post Dec 6 2007, 05:16 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 13,722

I have not done much at all....to me it seems the more I shoot it the more accurate it gets or I may just be getting confrontable with it!! .338 WM Ruger !
+Quote Post
wmramse
post Dec 6 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Big Wes

Member No.: 795

There are tons of ways to make the gun more accurate, but most should be done by a competent smith. If you roll your own ammo, the BOSS system is pretty much a waste, as you can tailor your loads to the gun, instead of the other way 'round. If not, then it can help you tighten up your groups with a little range time.

A good gunsmith can do things to a rifle that can't normally be done in a factory setting. Any no-name barrel can perform admirably in competition shoots as long as the chamber and crown are cut concentric to the bore - not the outside of the barrel. Bores aren't always cut perfectly in the center of the barrel - even in the high-dollar jobs. The setup time involved in centering a lathe on the bore instead of the barrel would make production guns unaffordable.

You can have a smith rechamber the barrel and cut a new crown. Even on a new barrel if the smith does it right you'll see a noticible increase in accuracy.

Most factory rifles are not blueprinted either, which involves truing up the action, lapping the bolt face true and lapping and facing the locking lugs. You can even have the action bored out and sleeved, then cut to fit the bolt perfectly so there's NO bolt play (very expensive).

Even though the barrel may be floated, it probably isn't bedded, or at least not as well as it could be, and certainly not pillar bedded. Floating may increase your accuracy, but bedding will banish those pesky fliers. Pillar bedding is by far the best though. Unless you use a torque wrench when you put your stock screws back in after cleaning, you'll be better off with bedding pillars. When you install the stock screws at different torque rates, the barrel and stock have different pressures between them, and your point of impact will change (especially a wood stock in varied weather). With a pillar it doesn't matter how tight the screw is, there's always constant pressure.

The trigger is also a good place to get a lot of accuracy improvement. A good trigger with no creep and a light pull can really shrink those groups.

You could spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars customizing a rifle, but for the most part it isn't really necessary for a hunting gun. Unless you wanna reach out there to 600 yards or more, but practice plays almost as much a part of that as the rifle wink.gif

--------------------
Wes

Shoot low boys, they're riding shetland ponies.
- Lewis Grizzard
+Quote Post
chris_carpenter
post Dec 6 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #6

Tracker

Member No.: 10,958

good grief wmramse i didn't know you could do so much!

--------------------
TSgt Chris Carpenter
"Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--serving all three"

'06 Hoyt Trykon
Trophy Ridge Drop Zone
Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin GS
Bohning 6 arrow
Easton Epic ST
G5 Tekan II in 125 gr
+Quote Post
nchawkeye
post Dec 7 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #7

Tracker

Member No.: 11,606

I always have my trigger adjusted to break clean at 2 1/2 pounds, that's why I don't care for a semi...A good trigger is the first step...

After this, try several different brands and type ammo, this can make a huge difference...

After this has been tried then you can start with other tricks...

With that BOSS, you should have a good shooting gun...
+Quote Post
wmramse
post Dec 7 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #8

Big Wes

Member No.: 795

QUOTE(chris_carpenter @ Dec 6 2007, 05:48 PM) *

good grief wmramse i didn't know you could do so much!

Shoot yeah! If you do all these things above and replace the barrel with a heavier contoured one you're looking at an honest to goodness 'Beanfield Rifle". Some of these mods will give you a good increase in accuracy, but once you get your groups just so tight, you have to start spending a lot more money to get 'em just a little bit tighter. That's why lost of hunters spend $600-800 on a hunting rifle - so it shoots good enough they don't have to get much else done to it. Of course, you can also get a $300 Savage and pay a smith $400-500 to work it over and you'll have a rifle that will be just as accurate, a lot more consistant and (probably) a little bit cheaper. Or you could just be happy shooting 1" groups at 100 yards like you can get most production rifles to shoot.

Here's the original "Beanfield Rifle":

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/beanfield.aspx

Keep in mind that's the STARTING price, and doesn't include the price of the gun YOU have to provide blink.gif I'd bet money their BFR will shoot 1/2" groups at 400 yards (or further) all day though wink.gif

You just have to ask yourself - "how accurate do I want it" and go from there.

--------------------
Wes

Shoot low boys, they're riding shetland ponies.
- Lewis Grizzard
+Quote Post
elkslayer_14
post Dec 10 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,385

QUOTE(ElkMan @ Dec 5 2007, 09:16 PM) *

I have not done much at all....to me it seems the more I shoot it the more accurate it gets or I may just be getting confrontable with it!! .338 WM Ruger !

thanks wmramse you gave a lot of great info. that was exactly what i was looking for.
+Quote Post
farmboy
post Dec 11 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #10

On God's Front Porch

Member No.: 4,215

Something that has been forgotten.........Practice, Practice, Practice. A rifle is only as steady as you are.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 05:41 PM