Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mt. St. Helens Area For Elk?
bowhunter-boy
post Nov 9 2007, 04:18 AM
Post #1

Slaymaster Jr.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,748

how is the mt st helens area for hunting elk? my friend says its nice up their. anybody have luck on bagging animals in that area?

and dos anyone hunt the clockum? we left that area 7 years ago because it was really crowded. is it very crowded anymore? and any luck on bagging an animals?

any help would be a big help!

This post has been edited by bowhunter-boy: Nov 9 2007, 04:42 AM

--------------------
Will

I shoot traditional mostly these days
Trad setup = martin hunter recurve 55# instinctively shot
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bow4elkfamily
post Jan 12 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 14,438

biggrin.gif hey bowhunter boy, we hunt the colocum every year with the exception of last year....we all went to idaho, my 11 year old son shot his first elk there 2006(in the colockum) a nice 1x2 in a spike only area. anyway to get back to your question, since they made it spike only there, there has not been very many hunters at all. we had multiple chances at spikes in the 4 or 5 days we were there. I heard it was a little more crowded there last season.hope this helps....where do you guys hunt? what unit....had any luck? Bow4elkfamily
QUOTE(bowhunter-boy @ Nov 8 2007, 10:18 PM) *

how is the mt st helens area for hunting elk? my friend says its nice up their. anybody have luck on bagging animals in that area?

and dos anyone hunt the clockum? we left that area 7 years ago because it was really crowded. is it very crowded anymore? and any luck on bagging an animals?
any help would be a big help!

This post has been edited by bow4elkfamily: Jan 12 2008, 02:31 AM

--------------------
A bull elk bugling in your face, under 20 yards, does it get any better?
+Quote Post
jerry c wa
post Jan 29 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 11,727

In the early seasons you have to deal with fire closures and locked gates, their are alot of bulls in the area 2 to 1 ratio thats 1 bull for every 2 cows. The bulls are mostly medium size 250 to 320, very few are in the 350 range, and you'd be very lucky to find one or two over 350+. Great place to just go and kill an average bull, good luck drawing a tag it's very difficult.
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Feb 8 2008, 04:24 AM
Post #4

Follower of Christ; Soldier; Husband & Daddy

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,693

I hunted Mt St Helens area for the last 5 years... I hunted gun twice and archery twice... and then last year I drew the "any elk any season" tag.

There are lots of elk and if you get down just to the south there is lots of walk in only land. There will be very little traffic in those areas. The clearwater creek drainage is LOADED with elk. It is called "the big hole" by locals and veteran hunters of the area. It is absolute hell to get into and out of, but once you are in the valley the walking is easy and the hunting action is incredible. Just make sure you have a plan for getting the elk out once you kill it.

As an added bonus, the are lots of big deer and a pretty good number of bears in the area, so you can enjoy those additional hunts as well. Look to the timber company land and Strawberry Mtn. for the best deer. Bear will be everywhere, but especially where you find the blueberry and huckleberry hillsides.

The best way to come into the area is from Cougar (from south) or Randall (from north).

Hope this helps and happy hunting.
+Quote Post
WY Hunter
post Feb 9 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 14,851

What subspecies of elk and deer are in the area, Roosevelts or Rcky mnt., Blacktail or mulies?

This post has been edited by WY Hunter: Feb 9 2008, 05:01 PM
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Feb 10 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(WY Hunter @ Feb 9 2008, 11:00 AM) *

What subspecies of elk and deer are in the area, Roosevelts or Rcky mnt., Blacktail or mulies?

Roosevelt Elk, Blacktail Deer, Black Bear.
+Quote Post
cascademountainhunter
post Mar 26 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #7

Hunter

Member No.: 16,167

ive seen alot of elk around st. helens
but there are also alot of hunters there in rifle season
that is why im swichin to archery
i think it should be pretty easy to get one ecspecially in the rut
+Quote Post
bowhunterty
post Mar 31 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 12,124

Think again about archery hunting. It will be frustrating. I've hunted down there hard the last 3 years and each year there are more and more hunters. Thay are getting rude too. You have to fight your way through on opening day. Two years ago there was 20 vehicles along a 5 mile stretch. I watched a herd of over 50 during the summer and watched them day before the season stared. After opening morning they were gone. If your lucky youll getr one then if not they will be pushed out of the country. Usually into the Loowit. But if you backpacked into the Clearwater valley you may have a good shot. You could also buy time and pray they start coming out of the Loowit.
+Quote Post
Mossback2
post Apr 16 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 16,584

QUOTE(bowhunterty @ Mar 30 2008, 08:25 PM) *

Think again about archery hunting. It will be frustrating. I've hunted down there hard the last 3 years and each year there are more and more hunters. Thay are getting rude too. You have to fight your way through on opening day. Two years ago there was 20 vehicles along a 5 mile stretch. I watched a herd of over 50 during the summer and watched them day before the season stared. After opening morning they were gone. If your lucky youll getr one then if not they will be pushed out of the country. Usually into the Loowit. But if you backpacked into the Clearwater valley you may have a good shot. You could also buy time and pray they start coming out of the Loowit.

cool.gif It is great to see an individual wanting to seek the sport of archery and become a brother of the stick and bow. There is some truth to the frustrating statement, but never not pursue the sport, what in life doesn't have its frustrations, we all seem to overcome if we are willing. Frustrations of modern elk hunting in Western WA., access to and less public land available, closed private timberlands due to fire danger, more archery hunters afield and crowded together, and knowing the species you are hunting well and there habitat and habits during prerut, rut, and post rut, and what call to make or not to make at the appropriate time during your stalk. We need the WDFW to release more quality tags within the surrounding units, (Loowit, Margret, Toutle,etc.) and lenghten our short 14 day season to a longer season. Lenghtening the season might dispurse hunters more evenly thruout the season. I have been hunting the State for over 26yrs+, and the last 14 strickly archery only and have been blessed to have taken nine bulls in row in the state of WA. and one in OR. last year to date. You might try contacting a local biologist within the area you are pursuing, they usually provide some good information, purchase forest service maps, county, and dnr/timberland owner maps if available, AND GOOD LUCK!
+Quote Post
I Hunt 365
post Apr 16 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Mossback2 @ Apr 16 2008, 12:15 AM) *

cool.gif It is great to see an individual wanting to seek the sport of archery and become a brother of the stick and bow. There is some truth to the frustrating statement, but never not pursue the sport, what in life doesn't have its frustrations, we all seem to overcome if we are willing. Frustrations of modern elk hunting in Western WA., access to and less public land available, closed private timberlands due to fire danger, more archery hunters afield and crowded together, and knowing the species you are hunting well and there habitat and habits during prerut, rut, and post rut, and what call to make or not to make at the appropriate time during your stalk. We need the WDFW to release more quality tags within the surrounding units, (Loowit, Margret, Toutle,etc.) and lenghten our short 14 day season to a longer season. Lenghtening the season might dispurse hunters more evenly thruout the season. I have been hunting the State for over 26yrs+, and the last 14 strickly archery only and have been blessed to have taken nine bulls in row in the state of WA. and one in OR. last year to date. You might try contacting a local biologist within the area you are pursuing, they usually provide some good information, purchase forest service maps, county, and dnr/timberland owner maps if available, AND GOOD LUCK!

yes, there are some places where you will see hunters. But there are lots and lots of places where you won't see anybody. Sometimes you can use heavy hunted spots to your advantage by walking an extra mile or two away from the roads and parking lots and letting the other hunter push all the game to you. There are also lots of walk in only areas as well as Wilderness Areas that don't see much hunting pressure. I have never had a problem with overcrowded or over hunted spots in the St Helens area, and if I see a bunch of people, I just go somewhere else.

I do agree that the WDFW could stand to change up the season structure as well as releasing more tags for certain areas. But then, the WDFW could do a whole lot of things a whole lot better. They tend to be run more by what the liberal state govt wants than being concerned with the interests of hunters and fishermen.

This post has been edited by I Hunt 365: Apr 16 2008, 05:34 PM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 10:12 PM