Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Muley Vs Whitetail In Unit 1 In Idaho
dagoat
post Oct 19 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,516

My buddy is taking me up to this unit to hunt whitetail in Nov. It is an over the counter tag and you can shoot either a muley or whitetail. But I have never hunted nor of course shot a whitetail so I would really like to get a whitetail buck. I am taking my 10 yr old boy with me that has watched me shoot some good Muleys but is excited to hunt these whitetails also (he cant shoot yet).

Question #1- Has anyone hunted this unit and if so is it a good unit for Whitetail?

Question #2- Do you experts have some do's and dont's that you could share with me about whitetail hunting? I have been told it is very different then hunting these Muleys...

Thank you for your time and response....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dagoat
post Oct 22 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

It amazes me what topics get responses on here and which ones dont....but hey thanks for your time anyway....good luck
+Quote Post
Cinch
post Oct 22 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #3

YES, I DO HUNT LIKE A GIRL AND PROUD OF IT!

Member No.: 9,298

I dont know about the unit or anything. The only thing I can tell ya is try to minimize your smell, be quiet and the only way you are going to see something is if youre out in the words. Um if you are using a bow try to be up high so the pull back of your bow will less likely be seen by an approaching buck. If that dont work wait until he goes behind a tree. I dont know anything about muley hunting but I think all the basic principles would apply. If ya already know the above answers then ask me some specifics and Ill do my best to answer them.

--------------------
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."
"An expert in anything was once a beginner."
www.heavenlyblueoutfitters.net
+Quote Post
Hammerbuck
post Oct 22 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 7,290

Yes unit 1 is an excellent whitetail area. As are most of the units north of the salmon river . I have been hunting whitetails in Idaho for nearly 20 years and it is by far the best deer hunting that I have found. Idaho is big country and the whitetails get to grow up a little before being killed by hunters, the buck to do ratio in most of the state is excellent. Especially up north where you will be hunting. My favorite way to hunt is to rattle. It is extremely effective there. Perfect place to get your son hooked on whitetails. You'll find that the country is pretty thick, but that's a good thing. I don't know what your trip dates are, but I go every year from the 10th through the 20th. I probably don't see more than 20 or 30 deer durring that time, but well over half the deer will be bucks and the majority of those bucks will have respectable racks. We usually rattle in a couple of real hammers durring the trip and we have killed a few dandy's. I don't know how much rattling you have done but that is the way to go. It took me many years to gain the confidence in the horns. I would always try them once or twice and then go back to walk or stand hunting. Then one year I committed my hunt to the horns. The first buck a rattled in was a real respectable 10 point with an 18 inch inside spread, I shot him and then I was convinced, and thoroughly confident. That same trip I rattled in four more bucks for my hunting buddies and the one that my partner killed was a real pig, a big heavy 12 point with super long tines; not real wide but a true trophy. Every year since then we have filled all of our tags with 8 and 10 point bucks. We have started getting choosy and passing up alot of bucks that we would have been thrilled to kill 10 or 12 years ago. Moral of the story I guess is to hit the horns alot. I hunt them alot like I do elk in the rut. I set up and rattle very aggressively for a minute or so then wait a few and do it again; I only do two sequences like that then sit ready with gun in hand... those bucks will get right in on you in a hurry and if you're not ready you'll get busted. I usually sit in one spot for 20-30 minutes and if nothing comes in I'll move to the next spot. Alot of times that may only be 100 yards or so depending on terrain. Most of the bucks I rattle in are durring the mid day hours. I probabaly rattle 10 different setups per day and usually get one in every 5 to 7 setups. probably average 1.5 rattle-ins per day. If you commit to rattling in northern Idaho in November you will have alot of success and a ton of fun. My oldest son is only 3 but I can't wait until he is 9 or 10. That is a perfect hunt for the youngsters. Alot of action and not too physically demanding. There is alot of gated logging roads up there and the work great for hunting. Having two vehicles is really helpfull so you can hunt from the top to the bottoms. Those bucks are ridgerunners you'll see the scrapes an rubs down the spines of those subtle ridges in the lower third of the elevation range. Anyhow,sorry I got so long winded but talking about hunting the whitetail rut in Idaho gets me all fired up. Good luck out there I know you and your boy are going to have a blast
+Quote Post
mr1384
post Oct 22 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 11,114

Hammer- i really enjoyed reading, sounds like a real blast. Dale. wink.gif

--------------------
[font=Arial Black]
+Quote Post
arrowslingger
post Oct 23 2007, 03:21 AM
Post #6

Trophy Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,709

Hammerbuck, you hunting in October or November? What is the general rifle season in Idaho? I have some free time and have not hunted with a rifle in a long time. Thought I should give it a try. Any suggestions of areas with decent access?

I also like to rattle. I use to do it a lot in VA. I have tried it a couple times here in WA, but I think the timing was off with our season. Also, in VA I had the "advantage" of all the leaves on the ground which in my opinion allows a hunter to make the fight a lot more realistic and almost irresistable... There aren't as many big bucks in VA, but they can be called from a long distance at times.

Thanks

QUOTE(Hammerbuck @ Oct 22 2007, 03:34 PM) *

Yes unit 1 is an excellent whitetail area. As are most of the units north of the salmon river . I have been hunting whitetails in Idaho for nearly 20 years and it is by far the best deer hunting that I have found. Idaho is big country and the whitetails get to grow up a little before being killed by hunters, the buck to do ratio in most of the state is excellent. Especially up north where you will be hunting. My favorite way to hunt is to rattle. It is extremely effective there. Perfect place to get your son hooked on whitetails. You'll find that the country is pretty thick, but that's a good thing. I don't know what your trip dates are, but I go every year from the 10th through the 20th. I probably don't see more than 20 or 30 deer durring that time, but well over half the deer will be bucks and the majority of those bucks will have respectable racks. We usually rattle in a couple of real hammers durring the trip and we have killed a few dandy's. I don't know how much rattling you have done but that is the way to go. It took me many years to gain the confidence in the horns. I would always try them once or twice and then go back to walk or stand hunting. Then one year I committed my hunt to the horns. The first buck a rattled in was a real respectable 10 point with an 18 inch inside spread, I shot him and then I was convinced, and thoroughly confident. That same trip I rattled in four more bucks for my hunting buddies and the one that my partner killed was a real pig, a big heavy 12 point with super long tines; not real wide but a true trophy. Every year since then we have filled all of our tags with 8 and 10 point bucks. We have started getting choosy and passing up alot of bucks that we would have been thrilled to kill 10 or 12 years ago. Moral of the story I guess is to hit the horns alot. I hunt them alot like I do elk in the rut. I set up and rattle very aggressively for a minute or so then wait a few and do it again; I only do two sequences like that then sit ready with gun in hand... those bucks will get right in on you in a hurry and if you're not ready you'll get busted. I usually sit in one spot for 20-30 minutes and if nothing comes in I'll move to the next spot. Alot of times that may only be 100 yards or so depending on terrain. Most of the bucks I rattle in are durring the mid day hours. I probabaly rattle 10 different setups per day and usually get one in every 5 to 7 setups. probably average 1.5 rattle-ins per day. If you commit to rattling in northern Idaho in November you will have alot of success and a ton of fun. My oldest son is only 3 but I can't wait until he is 9 or 10. That is a perfect hunt for the youngsters. Alot of action and not too physically demanding. There is alot of gated logging roads up there and the work great for hunting. Having two vehicles is really helpfull so you can hunt from the top to the bottoms. Those bucks are ridgerunners you'll see the scrapes an rubs down the spines of those subtle ridges in the lower third of the elevation range. Anyhow,sorry I got so long winded but talking about hunting the whitetail rut in Idaho gets me all fired up. Good luck out there I know you and your boy are going to have a blast

+Quote Post
Hammerbuck
post Oct 24 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 7,290

QUOTE(arrowslingger @ Oct 22 2007, 10:21 PM) *

Hammerbuck, you hunting in October or November? What is the general rifle season in Idaho? I have some free time and have not hunted with a rifle in a long time. Thought I should give it a try. Any suggestions of areas with decent access?

I also like to rattle. I use to do it a lot in VA. I have tried it a couple times here in WA, but I think the timing was off with our season. Also, in VA I had the "advantage" of all the leaves on the ground which in my opinion allows a hunter to make the fight a lot more realistic and almost irresistable... There aren't as many big bucks in VA, but they can be called from a long distance at times.

Thanks
slinger, there are alot of great areas with good access. your best bets will be in units 1through 10 because there is alot of 'potlach' ground. they have thousands of miles of gated logging roads throughout the northern half of idaho. lots of old clearcuts. if you have not yet purchased your idaho tag, it may be too late for this season. that whitetail tag has been selling out earlier and earlier every year. anywhere from the 5th of nov. through the close of season is good. some of those units up there stay open till dec.1 the others close the 20th of nov. once the does actually come in and the bucks start tending, the rattling becomes less effective. i always hunt from the 10th to the 20th of nov. try south of st.maries in the clarkia/boville area. that is just one of many places but that is a fair distance from the bigger towns and there is thousands of square miles to hunt with good access. bring an atv if you have one, they come in real handy behind those gates. potlach allows them behind the gates.
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Oct 24 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #8

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

I've never hunted mule deer but I have read that they are nowhere near as skiddish as a whitetail. Take caution in your odor and stay out of their sights. From what I've read so far about this unit, you should be looking at some real nice whitetail bucks. Best of luck.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
+Quote Post
dagoat
post Oct 25 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Man you guys do have alot of knowledge. I cant write much right now but look forward to responding. Thank you all for your help, I will be using a rifle...either 30-30 lever action open site or my 7mm not sure yet. I will explain later but the 30-30 is a family tradition that I hope to keep going. See ya later
+Quote Post
dagoat
post Oct 25 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Hammer,

Thank you for taking the time to give me so many pointers. My son is so excited and quite honestly so am I about this hunt. My friend that is taking us talks just like you do about this hunt. He has been up there for the last 12 years I think and has killed many of muledeer but cherishs this hunt. Infact it took quite awhile for him to ask us.

Couple of questions

I took careful notes on the rattling routine you do. Now I bought one of those rattle bags that Primos makes, is that ok? or are the real deal better?

The bag came with the doe can and a grunt tube. I have archery hunted alot and called in some good bulls and realize there are times you use all of them and times I only use one of my calls. Do you only rattle? nothing else?

When you set up to call do you always sit next to a tree with your back against it? or are you set up differently depending on the terrain.

Is my 30-30 lever action going to be hard to hunt these sneaky things? if so I will use my 7mm.

We are going to hunt the north part of unit one I am told. He always uses the can to call them in, so I will bring both I guess. We are arriving the 15th and leaving the 21st so it sounds like that is good timing.

I look forward to learning more from all of you, thank you for taking the time.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 10:17 AM