Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Colorado Unit 30 & 31, Looking for comments on the area
Spencer
post Sep 21 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,338

I may have an opportunity to go on a self guided elk hunt in this area of Colorado in the next year or two and I was wondering what the elk population was like in these units? Living in Alabama, I don't know a whole lot about elk country (good areas or bad areas) and a friend has invited me to come along at a lower cost than me going with an experienced outfitter.

I told my friend that I was considering an elk hunt out west in a couple of years and he invited me to go as a guest on his lease. I am looking for comments about whether I would be better off with an experienced outfitter with a guaranteed tag ($5K - $10K cost) or go with my friend for about $3000 (which includes the airfare, food, and elk tag).

Have a little mercy on me as I have never hunted elk. I'm just a 35 yr veteran whitetail hunter from the south. smile.gif

Thanks!

Scott Spencer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nidahoarcher
post Sep 21 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 11,761

Good question! How experienced is your friend? Has this freind ever hunted elk? What kind of success on his lease? All things to consider.

--------------------
www.idahobasspro.com
+Quote Post
Spencer
post Sep 21 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(nidahoarcher @ Sep 21 2007, 11:55 AM) *

Good question! How experienced is your friend? Has this freind ever hunted elk? What kind of success on his lease? All things to consider.
He's experienced and he actually killed a 5x6 last year. It was probably a 275-285 class. He's killed 3 bulls and 3 cows over the last 10-12 years or so. I would actually hunt with him since I would be his guest on the lease.

I suppose my ultimate question is: Do I spend 3-4 thousand more for the experience of a guide/outfitter, with a better chance (not guaranteed of course) to take an elk, or do I go "cheaper" and try to do something with my friend in these Units?

Scott Spencer
+Quote Post
nidahoarcher
post Sep 21 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 11,761

Nobody can answer that for you. It's your wallet.Your elk. It sounds like you have got an ok chance either way.

--------------------
www.idahobasspro.com
+Quote Post
Spencer
post Sep 21 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

QUOTE(nidahoarcher @ Sep 21 2007, 03:11 PM) *

Nobody can answer that for you. It's your wallet.Your elk. It sounds like you have got an ok chance either way.
I was afraid that would be your answer. smile.gif Either option may wind up being a once in a lifetime deal for me due to the cost. That is why I was wondering if I should do everything I could to get myself the best chance at taking a bull elk. That is also why my original question was dealing with the herds in unit 30/31 of Colorado. If someone familiar with those areas told me that the herd(s) are very sparse and small in that area then I would probably go with an outfitter in another area or state.

Either way, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Scott
+Quote Post
MWild
post Sep 23 2007, 04:07 AM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 2,190

Scott,
You can get on the Colorado DOW website and find the estimated elk population for 30 and 31. I can't tell you how to go straight to it, but its on there. I was just looking at it earlier for some other units. Also check the 2006 harvest stats for 30/31.

--------------------
MWild
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 02:44 AM