3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You Stay Warm In The Tree Stand?
hillbilly bowhunter
post Sep 11 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,260

What ever i do i just cant stay warm what is your 2 cents ??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
schunter
post Sep 11 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Hunter

Member No.: 5,711

where a lot of clothes and where i am it does not normally get below 20 so it is not that bad
+Quote Post
Stalker
post Sep 11 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 1,145

i get cold no matter what once its much below 20. i'll hunt for 4 hours or so then come in, go back out later. once i start to shake, im pretty much done.

dress in layers, always wear a hat, toe warmers, hand warmers in your pockets, good gloves.

i try not to bulk up w/ clothes during archery, i want to be flexible... which can suck when its 10 degrees @ 6am... my toes always get cold, drives me nuts. unsure.gif

--------------------
Switchback XT
all the bells and whistles!
+Quote Post
turkynutz
post Sep 11 2007, 03:10 AM
Post #4

Hunter

Member No.: 11,630

Build you a nice fire right under your stand,that should keep you toasty! laugh.gif but seriously when it gets cold here, I get some of them hand and feet warmers. Put two on each foot and two in each pocket, and one under my hat! Usually last for bout 3 hours. If I aint got a deer down by then, I get on out of the cold.
+Quote Post
T.S128
post Sep 11 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #5

Hunter

Member No.: 4,720

it can get pretty cold up here. to deal with it i just dress warm haha. wear layers. long underwear, shirt, sometype of fleece or wool, and my jacket. wool pants work wonders. nothing really gets cold except my toes and face. face masks help a lot along with wool socks and good boots. haha

--------------------
"the intrusion of crossbows into archery seasons [are] the most imminent and critical threat to the future of bowhunting as we know it." Pope and Young Club
+Quote Post
Team DeerSlayer
post Sep 11 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #6

Tracker

Member No.: 4,549

Hand warmers !!!! lol they work great

--------------------
Please Check out my website http://pic5.piczo.com/TeamDeerSlayer/
Photobucket
+Quote Post
Eric Baker
post Sep 11 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Hunter

Group: Primos Prostaff
Member No.: 4

Start by eating something "warm" before you go hunting and take a snack for while you are in the tree; nothing works better from within than having food in your belly. rolleyes.gif Also, do not take a cold drink for in the tree; seems obvious but people take a cold bottle of water all the time. Warm/hot water in a thermos works well; its not the tastiest stuff but there is no odor and its warm/hot and will heat you from within if you drink a cup every every hour. Take a bottle to relieve the pressure later if ya know what I mean. ; cool.gif

Regarding clothes I start with a good base layer that will keep the moisture off of my skin; so something like under armor or any similar material. Even if you don't sweat much you can't help but generate some heat walking in and climbing into your stand so the chances are you'll sweat a little. Minimize sweating as much as possible because it will make you cold! I generally take a back packback and carry my outer layer coat(s) in the backpack and do not put them on until I am either at the base of the tree or in the stand. Sock liners are also a key for me because my feet sweat all the time and get cold if I don't wear liners to keep the moisture away from my skin.

Having good outer clothing is obvious so I won't discuss that other than to say make sure it's quiet clothing, particularly if you are bowhunting.

Finally wear a warm hat, good gloves and good boots. A lot of heat escapes from your head so that is very important, and if your feet and or hands get cold your toast.

I hunt all day in the late pre-rut/rut and it can be very cold particularly early in the mornings here in the north. I also hunt a lot after Xmas and have hunted when the temp is in the single digits; sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid the cold so try your best, stick it out as long as possible and when you finally get too cold get down. Things become unsafe when you get too cold (fingers don't work right and you could fall).

-Eric

--------------------
I hope you hang one by the spur this spring!
+Quote Post
OhioBBBC
post Sep 11 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 867

Stand up more than you sit. When you are seated, blood flow is not quite as good and leads to getting cold faster than you would if you were standing. Better circulation=warmth.

--------------------
Aim small, miss small.
+Quote Post
oakcreek
post Sep 11 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,185

To keep warm i use a kindney belt that holds 2 large hot hands. If you can warm your blood on it's return trip to your heart it greatly increases circulation which makes you feel much warmer. I will put toe warmers in my gloves the ones with the sticky side and will stick them to my glove on the top of my hand that way they don't get in the way when i want to draw my bow
+Quote Post
Country313
post Sep 11 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 7,387

QUOTE(Eric Baker @ Sep 11 2007, 07:20 AM) *

Start by eating something "warm" before you go hunting and take a snack for while you are in the tree; nothing works better from within than having food in your belly. rolleyes.gif Also, do not take a cold drink for in the tree; seems obvious but people take a cold bottle of water all the time. Warm/hot water in a thermos works well; its not the tastiest stuff but there is no odor and its warm/hot and will heat you from within if you drink a cup every every hour. Take a bottle to relieve the pressure later if ya know what I mean. ; cool.gif

-Eric

Oatmeal before i hit the stand and a thermos of warm apple cider. they dont seem to mind the cider, my cousin actually believes that it attracts them

--------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:26 PM