> Colorado Turkey Hunting
elkhunter79
post Aug 29 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,044

Hi Guys,

I have been turkey hunting in Colorado for about six years now. I really enjoy it but the turkey population here is not great nor is the public access. I have seen turkeys every year but never many close encounters with toms. I see a lot of hens and an occasional jake. I would really like to kill a mature tom. I have been using just a hen decoy over the years. Iím afraid that with the poor turkey population if I use a jake or tom decoy it might scare away other toms. The times I have used a jake decoy or a gobble call the toms act if they could care less and still wonít come in. Does anyone have any advice what I can do to see more toms, short of going to another state to hunt.

We hear toms they just refuse to come in!!! Please help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Aug 30 2007, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

How far away do you usually set up from the gobblers? My advice is to sneak as close as you dare before calling. The closer you are to a bird, the less ground he has to cover therefore increasing the odds of him coming within range.

As far as decoys, don't be afraid of using a jake decoy. Sure the bird population might not be too great, but the birds still have to establish a pecking order and dominance, a jake decoy will certainly encourage that if a longbeard sees a jake hangin with a hen. Other than that, make sure your set ups are somewhat open so that a gobbler can appraoch your calls while being able to to see well and strut and maybe try and spice up your calling to keep them interested.

I'll bet money that your biggest problem is a classic one....The gobblers are henned up. Best of luck this season. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

2012-13 Primos Deer Contest Champions Hardwood Heart Stoppers
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Sep 14 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,162

Elkhunter,
Great advice so far.
And I do agree with nyturkeyduster that setting up as close as you can is important, but not nessary with Merriams. A lot of times they don't mind traveling that extra distance to get to you, if you find them in the right mood!!
I am not 100% sold on decoys, but do still carry them. I have had postive and negative results using them.
The birds could still be henned up while you are hunting them, usually the better hunting here in Colorado will be towards the end of the season, anytime after May!!
Hope this helps.
If you are looking for someone to turkey hunt with shoot me a PM, I am always ready to go!!!
God Bless
Shawn

--------------------
Romans 10:13
"Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com
+Quote Post
Catfishturkeyhunter
post Sep 15 2007, 05:59 AM
Post #4

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 9,614

QUOTE(elkhunter79 @ Aug 29 2007, 06:37 PM) *

Hi Guys,

I have been turkey hunting in Colorado for about six years now. I really enjoy it but the turkey population here is not great nor is the public access. I have seen turkeys every year but never many close encounters with toms. I see a lot of hens and an occasional jake. I would really like to kill a mature tom. I have been using just a hen decoy over the years. Iím afraid that with the poor turkey population if I use a jake or tom decoy it might scare away other toms. The times I have used a jake decoy or a gobble call the toms act if they could care less and still wonít come in. Does anyone have any advice what I can do to see more toms, short of going to another state to hunt.

We hear toms they just refuse to come in!!! Please help.

Man I have never had the pleasure of hunting colorado, nor hunting Merriam Turkeys, someday I hope to though.. So Im not sure that what I have to say will be of much help.. I wouldnt be afraid to use decoys though, especially where your hunting.. Maybe try getting in closer to them, and even scout them and pattern them.. Some times the best and only way to kill a bird is to figure him out, then wait him out at one of his favorite hang outs.. If you ever get a chance, try hunting Kansas.. Our outa state turkey tags are relativly cheap compared to most states.. God only knows you guys get plenty of elk hunters from our state, so come on over and get a couple turkeys.. smile.gif

--------------------
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
Fishingfool
post Sep 17 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,889

I am with you elkhunter79, I have had A lot of trouble with these mountain birds. Granted I am fairly new to turkey hunting in colorado but in three years I havent had a tom gobble back at me. I have had hens come take a look but it has been a rough go of it for me. And i agree with Catfish the Kansas turks have been far more cooperative for me.

This post has been edited by Fishingfool: Sep 17 2007, 11:47 PM
+Quote Post
turkynutz
post Sep 18 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #6

Hunter

Member No.: 11,630

Well I havent hunted Col. yet, but as far as here in Okla. and in Kansas we have ran in to that problem also! All we could do is travial around til we found birds that we could coax off privite prop.! Some birds have this figured out, thats why they get harder to get! People train them alot on public land around here! I would venture to other states and try your luck! Wedo every year 2 -3 different ones! Good luck!!
+Quote Post
slickyboyboo
post Jan 8 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 14,425

I have killed a gobbler everytime I have hunted in Colorado (including a huge 4 yr old bird this past spring), and every one has been on public land. I haven't seen a shortage of turkeys at all where I have hunted and that includes gobblers. My best advice is "DON'T" use a decoy, and call very little. Try to pattern the birds, and be somewhere between where they are and where they want to be. A lot of these birds can be shot very easily with a bow.

--------------------
Biologists do it in their GENES!
+Quote Post
buffturkhunter
post Jan 8 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,011

Colorado has some good turkey populations in areas and good turkey hunting. I have had action most of the time. Hunting these birds is a little different, but if you do your time, scouting and walking in the right areas, you should get into birds.

--------------------
GO BUFFS!!!
+Quote Post
TRKYHTR
post Jan 9 2008, 05:08 AM
Post #9

Tracker

Member No.: 729

I don't know what part of CO you are hunting. I have hunted near Pagosa Springs and was very successful. I've had friends that have hunted there for several years in a row and they have seen more turkeys lately than ever before. Keep your head up, have some patience and have confidence that it will happen. Good luck,
TRKYHTR

--------------------
Photobucket
+Quote Post
colemanhousefield
post Apr 6 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 23,088

QUOTE(slickyboyboo @ Jan 8 2008, 12:59 PM) *

I have killed a gobbler everytime I have hunted in Colorado (including a huge 4 yr old bird this past spring), and every one has been on public land. I haven't seen a shortage of turkeys at all where I have hunted and that includes gobblers. My best advice is "DON'T" use a decoy, and call very little. Try to pattern the birds, and be somewhere between where they are and where they want to be. A lot of these birds can be shot very easily with a bow.

Hi,

My name is Coleman and I just recently moved here from Tampa, FL. I have been hunting all my life and I would like to hunt turkey in Colorado this spring. Problem is I don't know where to start. I live in Colorado Springs and was wondering if you would mind chatting by email or phone about turkey hunting in Colorado? Here is my email surfstoked17@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Coleman
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:47 PM