Reply to this topicStart new topic
> .223 Deer Rifle?
Volfan77
post Apr 5 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,134

Does anyone have any comments about using a .223 for deer? TN changed the law the last couple years and made it legal to use them for deer. I currently use a 7mm mag and have dropped every one of them on the spot but it sure does make a mess of the front quarters. I have a .223 I can use but is it worth it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EAGLEbowHUNTER
post Apr 5 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,453

If you are looking to drop your caliber down because of damage caused to the meat I would drop to a .243 instead.

Reasons:
1-- It is legal in most states (bare minimum in some)
2-- It doesn't have near the damage potential to the meat like your 7MM does

So in case you went out of state hunting and the .223 wasn't legal you had a smaller caliber rifle to use over you 7MM.

Now if you aren't looking into buying a new rifle I would stick with the 7MM.

The military has been using the .223 round since the early 60's with the development of the M-16. They are finally starting to get to the point where they want something with better stopping power say .308. If the military wants a larger caliber rifle for stopping men I would have to saw that I would want a higher caliber for stopping a deer.

Again, this all is just one persons opinion. I am sure that within the next 5 posts someone will call me an idiot or other things. But everything on forums like this is an opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck. smile.gif

Evan
KS

--------------------
The greatest hunter is the one who knows his own limitations.

ELK/WHITETAIL
Hoyt CARBON MATRIX 28.5" 71#
Carter Quickie Release
Trophy Taker PRONGHORN
Spot Hogg HOGG-IT
Easton FLATLINE 400 4" Blazer wrap w/ 2" blazers
8.5" B Stinger w/ 8 oz

ANTELOPE/MULE DEER
AlphaBurner 29" 72#
Carter Quickie Release
Limbdriver
Easton ACC 3-49 4" blazer wrap and 2" blazer vanes
12" B Stinger w/ 8 oz
CBE Tek-Target sight w/ Spot Hogg housing and up pin

Photobucket

+Quote Post
wmramse
post Apr 5 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Big Wes

Member No.: 795

Yes and no, and a little bit of maybe. It'll sure kill 'em if you hit 'em right. Every class of cartridges has it's own set of strengths - you just have to know how to use them to your advantage. The .223 is best suited for short-range (up to 100-125 yard) shots on deer. If you know your gun, load and the anatomy of the animal you're shooting, a good spin or neck shot will always drop them in their tracks. One through the boiler room will usually drop a deer within 200 yards if you hit the lungs or the liver. When you look for bullets, go with something that will hold together well like a soft point or a Barnes bullet. There won't be much left of a .223 ballistic tip once it hits the hide, and penetration is a must. You'll almost always get a better blood trail with a pass-through. I would also stick to using it in open fields - the smaller the bullet, the more it will deflect when shooting through brush.

--------------------
Wes

Shoot low boys, they're riding shetland ponies.
- Lewis Grizzard
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Apr 5 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Eat More Meat

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,743

A .223 in my mind is a bit light for deer unless you find the right bullet, I think if you want to go lighter get a .243 or keep droppin' those deer where they stand with the 7 mag. Wrecking some meat is a whole lot better than a bad blood trail and lost deer. But make a double lung shot and you won't have to worry about it. Best of Luck.

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

2012-13 Primos Deer Contest Champions Hardwood Heart Stoppers
+Quote Post
schunter
post Apr 5 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #5

Hunter

Member No.: 5,711

i killed my first 8 or so deer with a 223 remington and none of them went farther than 100 yards with a shot to the heart
+Quote Post
stoutk
post Apr 5 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Supreme Hunter

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,883

I shot a .243 in SC when I hunted/lived there...a sweet gun, no kicking and shoots straight! I'd pick it over the .223

--------------------
 photo primosG2s_zps0622d5f5.jpg

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
+Quote Post
OhioBBBC
post Apr 6 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 867

Rifle hunting is not allowed for deer hunting in Ohio, but I can tell you that with what I have seen, a 7mm Mag would be a lot of gun for a deer. I have one, it was a graduation present from my parents when I graduated from college, and I have dusted several groundhogs with it. There usually isn't much left!

My opinion on whitetail cartridges is that the more important factor is bullet placement. Deer do not have a thick hide, and if you hit 'em right a .223 should do the deed. The things I would be worried about would be blood trailing or poor shot placement. A larger caliber would probably anchor a deer quicker than a smaller caliber like a .223. However, if you can take out the heart/lung area with a .223, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

--------------------
Aim small, miss small.
+Quote Post
Goose Bonker
post Apr 6 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #8

Tracker

Member No.: 9,744

My brother used one for deer one year, worked fine. I personally think it is a little light, my favorite deer rifle is a 243, never had one go more then 30 yards after being shot, most dropped in their tracks. I've used a 22-250, worked great, through and through just like the 243. I think that has to do with higher velocities and power then the 223 though. A 223 with some solid bullets and a high velocity cartridge should do the trick. I don't like the 7 mm for deer unless they are 400 yards or more out.

--------------------
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Words of Benjamin Franklin.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post
30-378
post Apr 9 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 7,885

I say, Respect the animal, and use the 7 mag. a little waisted meat is worth it to know if you hit body, you will more than likely get your deer, I use a 300 mag, or a 30-378 (it's just a souped up 300) and I just shoot them through the ribs, loose no meat...but if Isee a monster walking straight away from me, about to enter the brush, I can start the ole' Barnes right on the butt cheak, and start the celebration, you can't always do that with a 270, 243, and deffinately not with a 223 or 22-250

--------------------
Mathews Q2
Dead Nuts Sights
3-D Rover
22-13 XX78
100 Gr. Rockets, 2inch hole (just like Brad Farris!)
Weatherby Acumark
30-378 Wby. Mag (cause I don't like trackin')
Leupold 6x18 target dot
+Quote Post
furfetcher2
post Apr 9 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,748

i believe if you can make the shot count there is nothing wrong with a .223. I used my .223 last season and the doe i shot with it only went a little over 30 yards after the shot. I'm sure if go for high shoulder shot you will drop it. and it sure saves your shoulder.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:12 AM