Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calling Cougars
mhoward
post Feb 19 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,174

I would like to try calling in a cougar. I have a Primos fawn in distress call and a Feather Flex fawn decoy.

Any words of wisdom? Mouth call? Electronic Call? Tips on how to set-up. Call sequences (length and volume)?

I have an area located with cats in it...I want to make sure I attempt to "do it right the first time".

Any help would be great.

--------------------
Hunter for Life
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
huntingbug
post Feb 19 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,424

What state are you hunting in here in arizona we work the washes that have trees or brush that the cats like to hide in. The fawn call will work but really only during the time there are fanws being born. Some people use the rabbit calls and some will tell you to use a electronic call. I think that just about anything you try is going to depend on that animal if you find one hungry enough he will come if you just said here kitty kitty. It will depend on several things look for an area that would be good ambush, watch for tracks, call a rancher that is having problems with them. if you are here in arizona let me know and I will take you out to some of the areas I go to. I past up on a 150 pounder last Saturday only because it was 300 yards out and I was not sure of the shot.
+Quote Post
Hammerbuck
post Feb 19 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 7,290

My partners and I have called in several lions while elk hunting. In fact one young female stalked to within 5 feet of us. She was shot in the chest (archery) and killed. NO LIE! I have hunted Lions for years w/my hounds. If you are in country that gets snow, I would recomend driving the roads until you find a red hot lion track. Remember when a lion is at a walking pace...just hunting, it can cover alot of ground in an hours time. You'll have to use your own judgement as to how close you are to it. Move in on the tracks until you gain some good visibility. Set up w/your back to a tree or better yet a rock outcropping to where the lion can't approach you from behind. They won't be too concerned with your smell so don't worry about that. I would blow whining calf elk sounds or a fawn in distress. If your'e close to that lion, he will come in for a look. Guaranteed! Sounds like fun. Good luck! ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Hammerbuck
post Feb 19 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

My partners and I have called in several lions while elk hunting. In fact one young female stalked to within 5 feet of us. She was shot in the chest (archery) and killed. NO LIE! I have hunted Lions for years w/my hounds. If you are in country that gets snow, I would recomend driving the roads until you find a red hot lion track. Remember when a lion is at a walking pace...just hunting, it can cover alot of ground in an hours time. You'll have to use your own judgement as to how close you are to it. Move in on the tracks until you gain some good visibility. Set up w/your back to a tree or better yet a rock outcropping to where the lion can't approach you from behind. They won't be too concerned with your smell so don't worry about that. I would blow whining calf elk sounds or a fawn in distress. If your'e close to that lion, he will come in for a look. Guaranteed! Sounds like fun. Good luck!
+Quote Post
Hammerbuck
post Feb 19 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

My partners and I have called in several lions while elk hunting. In fact one young female stalked to within 5 feet of us. She was shot in the chest (archery) and killed. NO LIE! I have hunted Lions for years w/my hounds. If you are in country that gets snow, I would recomend driving the roads until you find a red hot lion track. Remember when a lion is at a walking pace...just hunting, it can cover alot of ground in an hours time. You'll have to use your own judgement as to how close you are to it. Move in on the tracks until you gain some good visibility. Set up w/your back to a tree or better yet a rock outcropping to where the lion can't approach you from behind. They won't be too concerned with your smell so don't worry about that. I would blow whining calf elk sounds or a fawn in distress. If your'e close to that lion, he will come in for a look. Guaranteed! Sounds like fun. Good luck!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 06:08 PM