Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Mexico Unit 15 And 23?
ddfeed
post Feb 19 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,672

Anyone here ever archery hunt for elk in these units? What did you think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
elk-o-holic
post Feb 27 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 3,734

QUOTE(ddfeed @ Feb 19 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Anyone here ever archery hunt for elk in these units? What did you think?

I have never hunted that area, so I am not the most helpful person, however, Unit 15 would be a good unit, since that is where the Gila resides. Most NM Trophy Bulls have come out of the Gila wilderness, so that would be a good unit to try and draw a tag. Have never heard much about Unit 23, but I would hunt the areas of the unit that border Unit 15. May catch Bulls traveling between units.

I have asked some other hunters what they have heard about these units, but haven't received any replies. If I hear anything, I will post it for you.

--------------------

2008 Hunting Season Report:
Wife Bagged a Nice 3x2 Mulie.
Dad and I Did Not Bag - But Had A Blast Hanging Out Together!
+Quote Post
klshoe
post Apr 8 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 31

Hey elk-o-holic,
Unit 15 is a great unit, quite large with minimal private land to avoid. However it is one of the toughest units to get drawn for (as any unit in the Gila area is). I talked to Game and Fish about 3-4 years ago and they told me there are about 3000 elk in the unit, I don't remember the bull to cow ratio but it wasn't the greatest but not bad at the same time.
As for unit 23, I got drawn for it last year but didn't see not one elk in a week's time. We didn't get time to scot before season but did a lot during and still didn't see one. I would imagine though if you do hunt that area and you do happen along some elk you might just find a very large bull, since the area is bording the Gila and the east and a wilderness area in Az on the west. If you would like more info email me and I'll see if I can help.

ken
klshoe1@msn.com

--------------------
Remember your hunting in God's back yard,

Ken Shoemaker
+Quote Post
Gila Bull Slayer
post Apr 8 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,218

Unit 15 and Unit 23 are exellent units for trorhy elk and mule deer. I have bagged the last sevral years in unit 23 for deer. As of unit 15 I have seen many 400 inch bulls during scouting but i can't seem to draw an either sex archery hunt during the rut or a muzzleloader bull tag. But a good tag to learn the area is the early December Muzzleloader antlerless tag. Unit 23 is a real good unit if you know the area some large bulls reside in this unit. If you want a big bull you may even look in the 16B unit it is the all wilderness unit of the Gila. Another trophy caliber unit is 16D but the 16 units are the most difficult to draw. Unit 15's elk herd has grew large as well as their deer herd but it is a Muzzleloader and archery unit only which gives it its trophy caliber animals. Unit 23 will be the easiest to draw it is almost a guarentee tag.

If you need ay further help you can e-mail me at GilaElk24@msn.com
Remember all New Mexico applications must be in by April 10th.

Have a Nice Day,
Luke Romero

--------------------
"I dont't care much about tv cause theres country I aint seen"
-Hank Williams Jr.
Photobucket
+Quote Post
klshoe
post Apr 9 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #5

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 31

Hey Gila Bull Slayer,
As I mentioned in my last post I hunted unit 23 last year (off fourth choice) but didn't see not one elk, I sure would like to hear more about this unit if you are willing to share a little more insight. Like you said if you put for this unit you are all but guarenteed a tag. Anyways if you are willing to share more info please let me know. I am trying very hard to help my dad get a nice bull before his knees won't allow him to go hunting like he likes to. Thanks for any info.

ken
klshoe1@msn.com

--------------------
Remember your hunting in God's back yard,

Ken Shoemaker
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 04:32 PM