Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BEST MUZZLELOADER .50 CAL FOR THE MONEY
STONE93
post Feb 16 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,293

NEED HELP PURCHASING MY FIRST MUZZLELOADER AND DONT KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEM. IW ANT SOMETHING EASY TO USE AND CLEAN. LOOKED AT THE THOMPSON ENCORE AND LOOKED AT THE CVA OPTIMA AND DONT SEE MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THE GUN BUT A BIG DIFFERENCE IN PRICE. I HAVE ALSO SEEN THE THOMPSONS OMEGA LINE AS WELL. SO IF YOU ARE AN AVID WHITETAIL HUNTER AND KNOW ABOUT THESE GUNS AND HAVE USED THEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW BEFORE I PURCHASE ONE SO THAT I CAN HUNT SOME LAND IN TENNESSEE AS REQUIRED PER STATE LAW. THANKS SO MUCH TO ANY OE WHO RESPONDS
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dutch
post Feb 16 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 986

There are much cheaper muzzleloaders available than the Encore, but the Encore is hard to beat for versatility down the road. You will be able to buy rifle or shotgun barrels for it much cheaper than you can buy comparable guns. If you can afford the Encore, it would be a wise choice to invest in one IMO.

One other point, the cheaper muzzleloaders are usually not only lesser quality, but they are almost always harder to break down and clean than the higher priced models.

I really like my Encore, and I'm glad I made the investment.

--------------------
The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.
+Quote Post
lpd404
post Feb 16 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 1,007

I absolutly love my Encore, everyone is right though, the inital start up cost of one is rather high, but the versitility makes that up really fast if you buy barrels instead of guns. This is what I have gotten myself into, and I can tell you from experence that this is really quite fun! There are several custom barrel makers out there that you can check out online and they make a barrel in almost every caliber from the small 17's up to large bore calibers. Check out www.bullberry.com and www.foxridgeoutfitters.com for a starting place.

Hope this helps, and once again, in my opinion the Encore is the only way to go!
+Quote Post
Dutch
post Feb 17 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 986

Here's another link-

http://www.virginvalleyguns.com/

Right now I'm having Steve build me a 27 inch custom stainless free floated Shilen match grade fluted barrel in Remington 7 Mag, with a twist on and off muzzlebrake and a cryogenic treatment. I just sent my receiver off last week for a trigger job. Hopefully I'll be getting it back in a couple weeks. I'll take a few pics with the digital when I get it and post some pics.

I'm also planning on getting a Kevlar stock and forend when I can afford it.

--------------------
The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.
+Quote Post
wmramse
post Feb 18 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Big Wes

Member No.: 795

If its value you're looking for, check out CVA's inlines. I don't know what your price range is, but the Hunterbolt Ultramag is a pretty good gun for the $$. They can be had for under $150. The T/C Black Diamond XR is also a very good gun...Bass Prohas them on sale right now for $199. The Encores start out close to $550 or so (optional barrels are $300+), so if money's a concern, that might not be your best option. Also, the Knight Wolverine is a really nice rifle in the same price range (+-$200). All Knights come with a Green Mountain barrel, so it might be a better value than the others. Mostly it comes down to what shoulders good for you and what you wanna spend.

Just remember, if you're just getting into hunting with a muzzleloader, there are many other costs to consider...powder, flasks, projectiles, cleaning equipment, primers, etc. Plan on spending as much as $100-150 for accessories on top of the cost of the gun.

If you have any more questions or need more specifics, let me know.

--------------------
Wes

Shoot low boys, they're riding shetland ponies.
- Lewis Grizzard
+Quote Post
BIRDDOG44MAG
post Jul 21 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 1,980

For my money you cant beat a BP Express muzzeloader. There not cheap but they are the very best in my book.

--------------------
HUNT HARD HUNT OFTEN!!!
+Quote Post
bigbuckhunter
post Jul 21 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Hunter

Member No.: 119

i do like t/c muzzleloaders. i even have a black diamond but my favorite muzzleloader is my brothers. it is a rossi. it has a break action barrel just like the encore and it easy to clean. it is very accurate and i think it is the best for its price.

just my two cents

--------------------
bigbuckhunter
Muzzy needs to change its motto from "Bad to the bone" to "Bad through the bone"

+Quote Post
OKIEHUNTER
post Jul 22 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #8

Tracker

Member No.: 1,779

THE OMEGA IS THE BEST TO ME THE ENCORE REAL GOOD TO
+Quote Post
Teknovet
post Jul 24 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #9

Hunter

Member No.: 1,817

My buddies and i all shoot TC's. Between us theres an Encore, an Omega, and a Black Diamond. All shoot great. I agree on the versatility of the Encore, but I like different rifles, so I never got into the one gun for all seasons thing (read as justification to fill the safe) biggrin.gif . I really like my Omega, you cant go wrong there!

--------------------
Wish I was hunting instead of sitting at the computer.......
+Quote Post
Dzag23
post Sep 1 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 1,193

I love my Omeaga. i suggest checking one of these out. Very accurate and easy to clean.
--Dave

--------------------
Team 3:
Buck Snypers

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 12:34 AM