> Best place for a public land Merriam
Pruts
post Jan 3 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Fellas,

My hunting partner and I are looking for a good place to get a Merriam on public land. We heard something about the Nebraska National Pine Forest being a good place, any others? Thanks in advance for any help!

Pruts
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kebler
post Jan 4 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #2

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 2,640

I am not sure on how you plan to get to Nebraska,drive or fly. If you drive there are some goospots in central nebraska near broken bow that are in the middle of now where that don get much pressure. It would save you several hours driving time as apposed to going all the way out to the western part of the state. I live in Missouri. Nebraska opens the sring season up around March 25 for archery. We usally go around the 5th to the 10th of April the hens are not ready yet. Gobblers all over the place coming to the call.The hard part is hiting them with the bow.We have also hunted public ground in the south east portion of the state lots of turkeys very few hunters they are more of a hybrid turkey one looks like a eastern one like a rio ,some creamy looking merriams it a crap shoot there. We are going to Fullerton NE,on the platte river this year public land . More of a pure strain of merriams there several areas with in close driving distance of each other.If you want the pure snow white merriam you should probbably go to pine ridge it 40,000 or 50,000 acres. We just go to central part of the state because it is closer and cheaper for us to get there. You will be very satisfied in nebraska the public land that i have hunted is better than any private place I have very stepped foot on in Missouri and we are supposed to have on of the highest turkey populations. It is by far my favorite place to go not so many hunters and they gobble all day, if you like bow hunting I recomend trying that around the 5th it is a ball you will have the areas to your self and the turkeys work good. Call the nebraska game and fish and have them send you a hunt guide with all the public areas.
+Quote Post
Pruts
post Jan 5 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 18

Kebler,

Thanks for the advice. We're in the very preliminary stages of planning right now, but I know I would like a pure white Merriam to mount. I'll be flying into somewhere, my hunting partner will be making those arrangements. I plan on contacting the NE fish and game and picking their brains as to the best way to hunt the properties. Thanks again!

Pruts
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 04:49 PM