Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ever Have A Tree Stand Malfunction?
elkhuntfever
post Mar 11 2012, 03:00 AM
Post #1

Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,853

Back in the years when the Baker tree stand was popular, a buddy made a copy. I borrowed it as we both headed out for the evening hunt. First time I had ever used one but I had no porblem getting up the tree about 15 feet. Once in place, I decided I wanted to face a little one way or the other so I hugged the tree, shifted the stand to the side and next thing I knew I was sliding down the tree as the stand didn't grab. ohmy.gif blink.gif sad.gif I hugged the tree and just as quick I let go as my hide seemed to be peeling off. Rode it all the way to the ground. Buddy told me later he had heard the noise and knew what had happened. Live and learn. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Photobucket

Just hit me upside the head with a 2x4, that MIGHT get my mind off of elk hunting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dacoon
post Mar 11 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #2

Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 71,197

My 12 year old daughter wants a climber. Scared to death but i got to some time. I bet that hurt.
+Quote Post
SWarner1028
post Mar 11 2012, 04:16 AM
Post #3

Mathews Solocam

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7,863

A few years ago I was hunting in a ladder stand and my dad was 100 yards away in a climber. As I was sitting there I heard a crash and I knew it was something metal so I put two and two together and realized it was my dad. Sure enough he called me to go over to help him, it was the platform of his stand that fell.

--------------------
-Scott

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Member of Team # 8: Rack Attackers-2008 Primos Whitetail Champions!
+Quote Post
arkybohunter
post Mar 11 2012, 04:31 AM
Post #4

Hunter

Member No.: 20,431

I fell out of a baker(widow maker) when I was about 21 scared me good but by Gods grace I wasn't hurt.
SAFETY HARNESS EVERY TIME today
+Quote Post
nyturkeyduster
post Mar 11 2012, 04:45 AM
Post #5

Eat More Meat

Member No.: 2,743

I've never had a stand malfunction yet, I'm gonna start using a lineman's rope while climbing up and climbing down along with my Hunter's Safety System. You can never be too careful!

QUOTE(dacoon @ Mar 10 2012, 10:12 PM) *

My 12 year old daughter wants a climber. Scared to death but i got to some time. I bet that hurt.

Climbers are actually way safer than most people think, the main reason so many people have accidents with them is because they don't tie the seat and platform together. If while climbing the platform slips, you can recover it instead of being stranded several feet up or worse.

Keeping it simple and playing it safe rarely gets you in a tight spot. Be sure to check out Summit when looking, they are in my opinion; the safest and most comfortable climbers on the market!

--------------------
Brenner
"Bustin' heads since 2002!"
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

2012-13 Primos Deer Contest Champions Hardwood Heart Stoppers
+Quote Post
elkhuntfever
post Mar 11 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #6

Hunter

Be sure to check out Summit when looking, they are in my opinion; the safest and most comfortable climbers on the market!
[/quote]
I have a Summit and agree. It is a stand up/sit down climber and easy for a, uh, 43 year old like me to use. laugh.gif After that Baker, I feel like I am in my Mama's arms. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Photobucket

Just hit me upside the head with a 2x4, that MIGHT get my mind off of elk hunting.
+Quote Post
buckykm1
post Mar 11 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Supreme Hunter

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9,521

QUOTE(elkhuntfever @ Mar 10 2012, 09:00 PM) *

Back in the years when the Baker tree stand was popular, a buddy made a copy. I borrowed it as we both headed out for the evening hunt. First time I had ever used one but I had no porblem getting up the tree about 15 feet. Once in place, I decided I wanted to face a little one way or the other so I hugged the tree, shifted the stand to the side and next thing I knew I was sliding down the tree as the stand didn't grab. ohmy.gif blink.gif sad.gif I hugged the tree and just as quick I let go as my hide seemed to be peeling off. Rode it all the way to the ground. Buddy told me later he had heard the noise and knew what had happened. Live and learn. biggrin.gif

Those old Bakers were something else, you sure didn't want to put then on a tree with real hard or smooth bark. like a poplar tree, if you did, the odds of kissing the ground were real good.
my Brother in law went for a ride on one, i was lucky it never happened to me, But after it happened to him, i always carried a hammer and a couple of 4" barn nails with me, when i got up to where i wanted to be, i would put the nails in so it couldn't slide down.

Kevin

--------------------
Never argue with a Idiot, They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2010 Elknutz, Elk contest champions

Photobucket
+Quote Post
Mr. Mangler
post Mar 11 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Trophy Hunter

Member No.: 27,230

I had a tree step break in half one time. I was younger and more agil, these days I would have probably fell. I climbed into someone else's hang on stand while rabbitt hunting. The stap broke and I hit the ground. Luckily I had 5 rabbits in my hunting vest and landed on them. It was about a 10 foot fall. Don't climb into random tree stand, lesson learned.

--------------------
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Team Cluck Dynasty:
2013 Primos Cabin Chat Turkey Contest Champions

Team Blood Bath & Beyond:
2011-2012 Primos Cabin Chat Deer Contest Champions

"The better I become, the more luck people think I have."
"I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work."
+Quote Post
Catfishturkeyhunter
post Mar 11 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #9

Supreme Hunter

Member No.: 9,614

I don't even know why they sell climbers here in Kansas, the only straight trees here are telephone poles rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
+Quote Post
elkhuntfever
post Mar 11 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #10

Hunter

They actually HAVE trees in Kansas? Every time I go through on the trip to Colorado I am lulled to sleep. Nothing but empty, gentle rolling plains. Wait, they did plants some wind generators now. : )

--------------------
Photobucket

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 02:48 AM