Total Votes: 39
Guests cannot vote 
flyingbrass
post May 9 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Outdoorsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,558

Which pose do you like best for a first turkey mount?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LittandJake
post May 9 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Tracker

Member No.: 3,016

I have thought long and hard on this as I do not have a mount yet. I have killed a few birds that I wish had mounted back then but none on the wall. I would want it done how the bird worked to me. If he strutted most then I would want a strut pose. If he half struted then that would be the one. I will say through many friends that have mounts that a gobbling pose isn't top choice with them. Their opinions are that it looks somewhat real but the more they look at it the more they wish they had it done a different way. Also, take into account what species of bird you are mounting. If it is an Eastern, then most any mount would look good. If it is a Rio or a Merriams think serious about a half-strut, 3/4 strut or a flying pose. Those poses will show off the true colors in the tail and back of each bird. Full strut is an awesome pose and probably my favorite but it will cover up some of the colorful feathers on the birds tail. This was brought to my attention by others not just my opinion. The prettiest mount I have ever seen was a Rio that was in 3/4 strut. All of his feathers on his back and chest were fluffed up and his tail was spread open it just wasn't raised up to full strut. You could see every bit of the color in the back, tail and breast feathers. His head was put back somewhat to emply getting ready to strut. The eyes looked like a bird staring right through you. It is an awesome mount. Also consider your space available for your mount. A full strutter will take up a whole corner of your room. A bird on the limb will stick out quite a ways and a bird on a pedastal will take up a huge amount of table or floor space. Figure out where you want to put the bird before you choose a pose. Hope I helped some. I don't have a bird mounted yet but I know how I want each leg of a grand slam when I get there.

This post has been edited by LittandJake: May 9 2007, 07:35 PM

--------------------
"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4-wheel drive and a country boy can survive"-- Hank Jr.
I support Whitetails Unlimited, N.W.T.F., Delta Waterfowl, NRA.
+Quote Post
pabirdbuster
post May 9 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Hunter

Member No.: 10,100

I have my first eastern as a wall mount - he is standing at the end a limb in full strut, it looks really good. That is how he was the morning I shot him. Strutting at the end of the limb before he flew down, then he strutted the whole way in to 8 steps before I gave it to him.
+Quote Post
835ultimag
post May 9 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,510

If you got a real trophy, id say to mount it standing on the roost so that it is easy for everyone to see its beard and hooks. If its your first turkey killed, id say to mount it the way that it came in to you. My dads a taxidermist (PA state blue ribbon winner) and i know that strut mounts are hard to get perfect. if this is your choice, i suggest that you go to a quality taxidermist with good references.
+Quote Post
Goose Bonker
post May 9 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #5

Tracker

Member No.: 9,744

I like full strut mounts, but I would rather personalize it. It would be really cool to have two turkeys mounted in a fighting scene, that would just be cool!! wink.gif

--------------------
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Words of Benjamin Franklin.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
+Quote Post
willfish02
post May 9 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #6

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,293

i would like to have one done in a hanging position. like on a wheel or shed door. i like the way a bird looks when you carry it out of the woods
+Quote Post
higgins08
post May 9 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #7

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,092

QUOTE(Goose Bonker @ May 9 2007, 04:15 PM) *

I like full strut mounts, but I would rather personalize it. It would be really cool to have two turkeys mounted in a fighting scene, that would just be cool!! wink.gif

QUOTE(willfish02 @ May 9 2007, 04:29 PM) *

i would like to have one done in a hanging position. like on a wheel or shed door. i like the way a bird looks when you carry it out of the woods

ive seen em done both ways... i to am a fan of dead mounts if they are done correctly

--------------------
Team Straight Meat Pro Staff
+Quote Post
DeerSlayerTF
post May 10 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #8

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 9,936

I think gobbling would look good, but on the roost seems like it would look cool too.

--------------------
Trent Funnell
Greene, Ny

"Tree stands never nag, complain, or demand... They just ask you to sit down and listen."
+Quote Post
flyingbrass
post May 10 2007, 04:49 AM
Post #9

Outdoorsman

Member No.: 10,558

QUOTE(DeerSlayerTF @ May 9 2007, 09:12 PM) *

I think gobbling would look good, but on the roost seems like it would look cool too.

It is a Rio bird, a real trophy for me. 11 inch beard and 1.5 inch spurs.
+Quote Post
deucebump
post May 10 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #10

Hunter

Member No.: 8,545

Willfish02 I almost had my bird done like that yesterday! I kill one of my biggest to date and my buddy suggested that pose. I already have a 3/4 strut mount and don't have the floor space OR wall space for another full mount turkey so unfortunately he is gonna make a great meal! And B-moblie just got a new fan! I am trying to figure out something cool to do with the spurs though, the legs are still whole from the knee down. He had almost 1 1/2in spurs so I need a good way to display them. (suggestion??)

Anyway, I think 3/4 strut make one of the niceset live mounts and dead mounts look great hanging too. Check out these pics of my bird, this is a real bird but would make a great mount pose I think! wink.gif
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/deucebump/100_1663.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/deucebump/100_1661.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/deucebump/100_1664.jpg

--------------------
Cas there is no catch and release in the world of Hunting!!

www.gamehogghuntclub.com
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Zink Calls Pro Staff
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version       Primos Inc. © 2010 Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 09:07 AM